Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thanksf'ing #3: Five Movies for Which Doug is Thankful

It's November, and that can mean only one thing at F This Movie! -- it's time to celebrate the holiday of Thanksf'ing. Throughout the month, all of the F This Movie! crew will be sharing the movies for which they are thankful. Because the Mayflower.

Today's entry comes courtesy of Doug:

1. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Because who doesn't love Christmas? And Jimmy Stewart? Seriously, if you don't love Jimmy Stewart, you need to go trip and fall. Donna Reed's not all that bad to look at, either, if you catch my boner. My family has watched this movie every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. Simply put, it's the ultimate feel-good holiday film (that also gets pretty dark at times), as if that means anything. To me, it does. "Happy New Year to you ... in jail!"

2. Starship Troopers (1997) - This movie kicks butt, and you know it. None of the actors in it (who all appeared in Melrose Place in the 1990s, no?) seem to know exactly what kind of movie they're making, with the hilarious exception of Doogie Howser M.D. And that means director Paul Verhoeven is able to have a LOT of fun at their expense. Flip six three hole, Klendathu, Gestapo bug experimentation ... need I say more? The effects still look awesome today. "Come on you apes! You want to live forever?!"

3. The Blues Brothers (1980) - I love Chicago, and so does this movie. The best SNL spinoff movie (followed closely by Superstar [1999]), featuring two comedians at the top of their game. Excellent music (and dance numbers), with a laundry list of celebrity cameos. The director's cut is unnecessary (do we really care how the car gets its "magic" powers?), and Blues Brothers 2000 (1998) needs to abort itself, but the original still rules. My brother and I used to quote the entire movie on family road trips to Lake Wazzapamani. "Fix the cigarette lighter."

4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) - The only movie I've ever watched and completely forgotten where I was (the answer: trapped inside the body of an awkward 16-year-old boy). I was introduced to this movie during a horror unit in high school, and it changed my life. Super simple story, effective monsters, surprising hero and an annoying woman who just won't shut up. "We're them; they're us." Thanks, remake -- we get it.

5. The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977) - First time I saw boobs in a movie. And boy, did I. According to my sister, when the jugs in question appeared on screen (pressed against a shower door, mind you [boy-oy-oy-oing!]), I ran over to the TV and kissed the glass. Of course, I have no recollection of this. I do, however, remember being punished afterward. Thanks Ali (narc). Oh, and, by the way -- the movie's a giant piece of pie (garbage pie). Fun fact: the second time I saw boobs was in Vacation (1983). Thank you, pre-plastic-surgery Beverly D'Angelo.

Got a movie or movies you're thankful for? Email us at fthismoviepodcast(at)gmail.com and share. We'll be reading submissions on the podcast all month long. Happy Thanksf'ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment